Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tutorial Tuesday: Knitting - In the Round and Continental

Happy Tuesday, Everyone! And welcome to the first edition of Tutorial Tuesday! Today’s feature is for all my fellow knitters. Especially, my fellow new-ish knitters.

A couple of weeks ago, I started working on this hat. This was my first attempt at knitting in the round, and I quickly discovered that my books were lacking in instruction on the matter. They all told me to make sure my stitches weren’t twisted and join the ends. Ok. Join. But how? The general consensus seemed to be “just keep knitting.” So that’s what I did. It wasn’t long before I realized I’d missed something. I was just knitting a flat piece of circular needles.

So I turned to the internet for help, and found this video:



Piece of cake!  And having found that, I decided to do a bit of poking around and see what else I could find... 

I had recently read in DomiKNITrix about the benefits of knitting continental style (faster and easier on your wrists), and I was quite eager to learn how.  I had tried to figure it out by studying the book's illustrations, and I had gotten the basic idea, but I just couldn't get comfortable.  It felt weird and awkward and I wan't entirely sure I was even doing it right.

So I did another quick search on Youtube and found this little gem:



This made it so simple!  I grabbed my needles while I was watching, and I'd gotten the hang of it before the video was even over.

I love learning new things...  What about you?  Learned anything new lately?  Have a tutorial you'd like to see featured here?  Leave me a comment or drop me a line.  I'd love to hear from you.  And as always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment