Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday: Eco-Friendly Tote

I mentioned my earth-friendly efforts in my last post, but something happened between then and now. I saw this. If you're not familiar with the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, as I was not, it's basically an enormous floating mass of trash--mostly plastic. Google it and you'll find some truly horrifying photos.

To make a long story short, I decided I had to do something, anything, whatever I could. So lately, I've been making strides to do more. I've gone semi-vegetarian (flexitarian, if you will). I've been researching various green products, and just educating myself about green living, in general. I've begun taking my own tote bags to the grocery store. And I've been looking for ways to recycle plastic. Our local recycling center takes bottles, but what is one to do with other plastic items?

Well, Etsy gave me a good use for one of the most prolific plastics. Grocery bags. This How-Tuesday post shows you how to use grocery bags to make plastic yarn and crochet a cute tote bag. How cool is that?

I've already started working on mine, and though making the "plarn" is a bit time-consuming, I think it's well worth the effort. And I'm sure it goes faster once you've had a bit of practice.

I'll let you know how it goes and post pictures once I'm done. In the meantime, why not tell me about your recycled creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment